General Commencement Information
The Department of Communication's May Commencement ceremony will be held on Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 6:30pm in the Rekord Armory. The ceremony is expected to last about two hours. More information will be provided as the ceremony gets closer.
Transportation and Parking
Parking on campus is limited and guests are encouraged to consider traveling to College Park via Metro. Free shuttles run frequently from the College Park Metro Station. Parking is free and available in any lot or parking garage on campus. However, the best parking is available in the Regents Drive Garage. See the campus parking map for location. Additional parking information can be found on the University's main commencement website.
Disabled guests and/or families with baby strollers needing to avoid stairs can enter the Armory through the rear (accessible) entrance adjacent to the Main Administration Building. There are a limited number of handicapped parking spots available outside of the Armory which will be available on a first come, first serve basis. Guests will need a state issued handicapped placard to park in these spaces. There will also be a drop-off area outside of the Armory where guests can drive up to the rear (accessible) entrance of the Armory in order to drop off anyone who requires physical assistance.
Past Commencement Speakers
- Mr. Joshua Wood, JD, Loyola University School of Law
- Mr. Chad Steele, Vice President of Public Relations, Baltimore Ravens
- Mr. Steven Drake, Steven Drake Associates, LLC (speech)
- Dr. Lindsay F. Hayes, Redpath Writing
- Mr. Andrew J. Sherman, Partner, Jones Day (speech)
- Ms. Cary Hatch, CEO, MDB Communications (speech)
- The Honorable Anthony Brown, Lt. Governor of Maryland
- Mr. David Marianiss, author and journalist
- Dr. William "Brit" Kirwan, chancellor, University of Maryland system
- The Honorable Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, Lt. Governor of Maryland
- Mr. Charles Moose, chief of police, Montgomery County, Maryland
- The Honorable Donna Edwards, U.S. Representative, MD-4